Frequently Asked Questions

Home » Frequently Asked Questions » What is carbon monoxide?

wj_mascot_header

What is carbon monoxide?

SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT CARBON MONOXIDE IN MY HOME?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous gas, often referred to as ‘the silent killer’ because you can’t see it, touch it or smell it.
This odourless gas is produced as a byproduct of combustion when common fuel-burning appliances and equipment that use natural gas, oil, wood, propane and kerosene, don’t get enough air to burn up completely.

When this happens, CO can build up, especially in a confined room or space – and this can lead to toxic effects on humans and pets.

Most of these sources are associated with malfunctioning fuel-burning equipment and appliances – and poor venting and confined spaces, like a furnace room, garage, cabin, tent, RV, boat cabin or camper.

While carbon monoxide doesn’t have an off-season, it certainly has a major presence in the summer, when many of us are dealing with certain fuel-burning equipment that we use on a seasonal basis.

Of course, the cooler seasons often keep us indoors, and confined spaces, poor venting or limited air-flow also contribute to the CO hazard.

Common Sources of Carbon Monoxide
Most Ontario households have, on average, 4-6 appliances that produce carbon monoxide.

These appliances include:

  • Furnace
  • Gas water heater
  • Gas fireplace
  • Gas stove
  • Gas dryer
  • Gas barbecue
  • Portable generators
  • Fuel-burning space heaters

Poor maintenance/Improper venting

Poor maintenance of these appliances, damaged or blocked venting, or inadequate airflow can cause dangerous levels of CO to build up inside your home, garage, cottage – virtually any enclosed space under certain conditions.

Ready to go 24/7/365

Weiss-Johnson is Edmonton's 1st Choice for all your Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing needs.

Our certified technicians are available 24/7 year round to ensure that you can get help whenever that may be. Our team is committed to total customer satisfaction no matter what time of day it is.

What Our Customers Say About Us

"The guys were very friendly. They took lots of care and attention when removing the old furnace and replacing it with the new one to not damage anything along the way. Once finished they took the time to explain the operation and go through any questions we had. I would definitely use them again."

- Kyle J.

google_review

"This review is for Noel who came to my home to see why our electric air cleaner was not working. He was punctual and super friendly. Found the problem within 15 minutes. Had the part ordered, and 9 days later it literally only took him 3 minutes to replace it for us!"

- Joy H.

google_review

"Booking an appointment for a furnace checkup was a very quick and simple phone call. The technician was on time as promised, very knowledgeable and professional. It gave us piece of mind that our 10 year old furnace was in good working order."


- Nicolas L.

google_review